Question:

From Michigan, USA:

My 10 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 1/2 years. She has problems with dawn phenomenon. Last year I started giving her 11 units of Ultralente at 5 P.M. That seemed to work well. However, it does not seem to work now. I have tried changing the times from 5 P.M. all the way to 10 P.M. I have also tried changing to amount from 6 Units (in case she was going low) to 14 Units. Her morning blood sugar levels are still around 350. Night times snack doesn't seem to effect the morning levels. Any suggestions?

Answer:

It is important to remember that you will frequently have to readjust your child's insulin dose as she grows and has changes in her schedule.

You really have to look at the entire day's insulin regimen and blood sugar results to decide how to try to lower the fasting blood sugar without going too low while your child is sleeping. It is often helpful to test your child's blood sugar every 3-4 hours during sleep to determine when the blood sugar starts to rise.

Depending on your child's insulin regimen and depending on the results of blood sugar testing, possible strategies to consider and discuss with your child's own physician include:

• adding or increasing A.M. Ultralente
  • increasing or adding Regular before supper if blood sugars start to go up in the late evening and stay high during the night.
  • Substituting all or part of P.M. Regular for lispro insulin [Humalog®] if blood sugars tend to go low in the late evening or very early morning (midnight to 3 AM)
  • Add a very small amount of Lente to the P.M. evening Ultralente.