Question:

From California, USA:

I am a 73 year old male diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes seven years ago. I am taking NPH insulin. I am supposed to take it in the morning but I feel better if I take it later in the day. There have been times when I have become shaky and had to eat something. Several people have told me that I should take this earlier in the day as it is a 24 hour insulin and that I could get into trouble especially at night if I keep doing it my way. Sometimes I take it at 4 P.M., have dinner, and then nothing else to eat until the next morning.

Answer:

First, it is important for you to know that NPH is not a "24-hour insulin" (see What is Insulin?).

Second, hypoglycemic episodes can be very dangerous, especially to senior citizens. And taking only one dose of insulin per day may cause low sugars when the insulin has its peak activity.

Finally, taking the advice of well-meaning people may be inappropriate if they are not completely familiar with your case. You should contact a diabetes expert, either an endocrinologist or a diabetes nurse educator, if you are uncomfortable with advice from your own physician.

WWQ