Question:

From Gainesville, Florida, USA:

We received a message from Brazil informing us that our 8 year old nephew has diabetes. We would like to help him. I'd like to know what are the best insulin, glucose tablets and glucometer to send him.

Answer:

Sending products from the USA to Brazil might work, but it's likely that the doctors there are using alternate brands, either because they are more familiar with them, or because of availability issues. It's possible that insulin and meters sold in the USA might not be available in another country, and you'd have to continue to send the supplies over and over.

I'd suggest that you send money instead. And your prayers for his health.

Also, there are Portuguese language websites that have information that might be of interest to you and his family.

WWQ

[Editor's comment: Shipment of medical supplies is often regulated by the receiving country. Be sure to investigate local laws before you ship any medical supplies from one country to another. JSH]