Question:

From Alexandria, Virginia, USA:

I am a 24 year old who was diagnosed with diabetes eight months ago. During the first seven months, my insulin needs steadily decreased. Lately, I have noticed that I have been eating the same but my blood sugar levels have been creeping steadily higher. Over the past couple of days, almost all my blood sugar readings have been unacceptable to me (average 130). I am really conscious of my blood sugars and my question is, Are there any other effects to the honeymoon period besides increased insulin needs?

Answer:

You are giving a perfect description of the end of the honeymoon period. Your increasing insulin requirements on the same intake of food indicates that your body's no longer making so much insulin. This assumes that you are otherwise well because viral infections, etc., will also increase your insulin need temporarily.