From Darien, Illinois, USA:

I recently became aware of an alternative method for counting carbohydrates. This method takes the total carbohydrate and adds the sugar carbohydrate to the total. Yes, it's counting sugar carbs twice but it's supposed to take into account the fast action of simple sugars in the blood stream. This seems dangerous to me because I've always understood sugar carbs to raise blood sugar quicker, certainly faster than complex carbs, but I didn't think sugar carbs would raise blood sugar any higher than an equivalent amount of complex carbs. Wouldn't this kind of calculation lead to more frequent hypos? Can you clear this up?

I agree with you. The whole intent of carbohydrate counting is to include the all carbohydrates in the total amount. The research done was based on using sugar as a part of the total carbohydrate. Taking insulin to cover more carbohydrate than you are actually eating could be dangerous. I think that most sugar is eaten in combination with fat and many times the higher blood glucoses associated with sugar are actually because of the fat ingested with the sugar. Fat slows down the absorption of food and food may enter the blood stream after the main effect of the insulin.