From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

I am a 50 year old with Type 2 diabetes diagnosed 1.5 years ago. I also have hypertension and high cholesterol levels. I lost 20 pounds but have put it back on. I have read Ead's Protein Power book and would like to know if any medical studies have been done to validate their techniques in relation to controlling diabetes and other diseases.

I have not heard of this particular diet, however, the concept is not entirely new. The first time I ever saw a High protein diet was in the early 1970s. Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet was the name of the book. It was a no-carbohydrate diet which was difficult to adhere to but effective. Weight fell off rapidly, but addition of carbohydrate made a few pounds return immediately. My question about any of the high protein diets is the impact on kidneys. At some point one has to weigh the pros and cons for the individual. People who have high insulin levels starve on conventional diets. It can be done, but few have the ability to endure the deprivation and hunger.

[Editor's comment: I am very leery of any fad diet that claims to be better than the standard meal plans that are routinely recommended. For people with diabetes and hypertension, any meal plan that promotes the use of extra protein is risky to the kidneys, and I doubt that any diabetes doctor or kidney doctor would be willing to do medical studies to see what the effect of the proposed meal plan might be.

Before risking your health with fad diets, be sure to talk to your doctor, and to a Registered Dietitian. WWQ]