From Montgomery, Alabama, USA:

I am 46 years old and have been on an insulin pump for about 1.5 years. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 37 years. I exercise regularly by running, swimming, and weight lifting. I have found that heavy exercise causes blood to back up in my pump tube. Because of this, I quit reducing my basal rate, but the problem still occurs. I take about 30 units of lispro a day. This varies because of my carbohydrate intake. This blood backup worried me at first and now I'm just ignoring it. I find that I have less backup if I do not reduce the basal rate, but then I have to eat more. Anyway, I would like to know why I have this backup and is there anything I can do about it. I have talked to the people at Disetronic and they do not know why this happens.

Also, is there a chat line for people who use an insulin pump?

First of all, I think it is great that you partake in various types of physical activity. What bothers me, and it should you, is that blood is backing up into your pump tube. This is something that should not be ignored. You did not mention the site where you place the catheter in for your pump. Usually the first site of choice is the fatty layer of the stomach. The very first thing that comes to mind is the possibility that you taped into a small capillary. If so, you should change the site.

With regard to chat rooms for people who use insulin pumps, there are two features right here to investigate:

1. Chat Rooms
  2. CWD Forums

Updated January 16, 2006