From Watertown, Massachusetts, USA:

I am curious about the range of responses I've gotten from medical personnel about the target maximum blood glucose reading after meals. My doctor prescribes a 150 reading for 2 hours after meals. I meet this target with ease. However, I've noticed you, and others, have used a figure of 130 for 1 hour post-prandial. This is a much more difficult target to meet. My non-diabetic brother frequently fails this standard. Is there a single target for diabetics or is it a function of age, Type 1 or 2, etc., or really an individual target which is set with one's doctor?

I am 36 and Type 2 for nearly 3 years, controlled with diet, exercise and a little medication.

There are as many potential answers to this question as there are endocrinologists! Although you'll see various authorities claiming that they know what to set as a target for post-prandial blood sugar levels (or before meal blood sugars, for that matter!), it's really a matter of opinion.

In my opinion, the targets for your blood sugar control should be "moving targets" that are adjusted based upon circumstances. (For example, if you were a young woman who was planning a pregnancy, or were pregnant, the targets for your glucose control would probably be a lot tighter than when not pregnant.) And the targets should ideally be gradually tightened up as the patient and family become more knowledgeable about diabetes, and learn tricks to control the sugar level better and better as time goes by.

As one authority said, the lower the better, as long as you're not getting hypoglycemic: as you tighten up the sugar control on the high side, you'll increase the risk of misjudging, and ending up with blood sugars on the low side.