From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Are there any products on the market to take care of colds and the flu for a diabetic? I understand that diabetics can't really take any decongestants. What else is there, other than steaming ginger root, etc? Any remedies? Or are there any new medications that I am not aware of?

I am not aware of any new remedy on the market other than cough medicines such as dextromethorphan and guaifenesin. Such products frequently do contain decongestants, which (depending upon the dosage) can slightly raise your blood sugar. Antihistamines and codeine do not affect the blood sugar.

The syrup itself may be high in sugar and could raise your blood sugar. There are nowadays several brands of cough medicine made that are sugar, alcohol and decongestant free. I would ask your pharmacist to recommend one.