Question:

From Highland Falls, New York, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 18 months ago. He has adjusted fairly well with the normal ups and downs. My question concerns carbohydrate counting. I do my best to keep all refined sugar from his diet, but that is not easy. How many carbohydrates a day should a nine year old get? He weighs about 75 pounds and is active but not excessively.

Answer:

With carbohydrate counting, we usually figure about half of the calories from carbohydrate containing foods, which includes modest amounts of sugar, if you choose to include them in your diet. I really cannot make specific recommendations without more information; you should discuss the situation with a Registered Dietitian who is knowledgeable about these concepts.

JM