From Highland Falls, New York, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 18 months ago. He has adjusted fairly well with the normal ups and downs. My question concerns carbohydrate counting. I do my best to keep all refined sugar from his diet, but that is not easy. How many carbohydrates a day should a nine year old get? He weighs about 75 pounds and is active but not excessively.

With carbohydrate counting, we usually figure about half of the calories from carbohydrate containing foods, which includes modest amounts of sugar, if you choose to include them in your diet. I really cannot make specific recommendations without more information; you should discuss the situation with a Registered Dietitian who is knowledgeable about these concepts.