From Orlando, Florida, USA:

Can you provide me with any information on lipoatrophic diabetes mellitus? My 8-year old niece has recently developed a condition where it appears that the fatty tissue on her lower legs is rapidly deteriorating. She is currently seeing a physician and I am trying to gather as much information as I can for her mother. Thank You!

Lipoatrophic diabetes is an extremely rare disease which has a genetic basis. It is associated with profound loss of fat and often skin pigmentation. The diabetes is due to a insulin receptor abnormality making them insensitive to insulin; i.e., different from the insulin deficiency of Type 1 diabetes.