From Huntsville, Alabama, USA:

My 25 year old granddaughter has Type 1 diabetes and is on insulin. She has recently come down with an irritation of her esophagus. Is there any known side effects of diabetes that will effect her esophagus? If so, what would be the possible prognosis? (She smokes.)

I will assume that your daughter has had diabetes for some time. Minor abnormalities in the way the esophagus contracts (detected on swallowing barium and in pressure studies) are actually very common in diabetes but symptoms are quite rare. When badly controlled, diabetes predisposes towards Thrush infection in the gullet which can be very uncomfortable.

Smoking is also a major cause of "dyspepsia" or indigestion as well as being a colossal extra risk factor for complications in diabetes.