Question:

From Tasmania, Australia:

I have a 6 year old child in my class who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. Even though I know a fair bit about the disease, I can't find any info about the right foods for this child. Should this mother be giving her chips and chocolate bars for her morning tea (as that is all she is supposed to eat)? I feel she should have something more nutritious, but who am I to tell her? Her levels are sky high in the afternoon and I'm wondering if this could be a reason why. Please help me so I can delve into this more before confronting the parents.

Answer:

Your position is a difficult one. It would be advisable to contact the mother of this child and ask her to share with you her treatment plan so that you can understand what the philosophy of the treatment team is. Many children are taking sweets for their snacks as they are easy to carry and are "what everyone else is eating." If the blood sugars are high the mother may want to ask her diabetes team to help adjust the treatment plan to accommodate her needs. With the advent of planning meals based on the total carbohydrate content of foods rather than the source of carbohydrate, sweets are certainly a possibility to include in the diet. The emphasis of any meal plan should be on a balanced diet based on the Food Guide Pyramid which places sweets in the smallest part of the pyramid, but the family is the who decides how to interpret this information.

JM