Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Nov 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I know someone who is 23, Type 1 Diabetic since age 7, and recently experienced loss of motion on the right side of her body as she was waking in the morning. She was fine after drinking juice. Is this possibly linked with diabetes? (28 Nov 97)

2. I'm 13 and I have been diabetic for over two years now and I heard about some guy taking a pill instead of injections. I'm not sure what the announcement was but I would like to find out. (28 Nov 97)

3. I'm a 22 year old female and I was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago. However, no one is quite sure whether I have Type 1 or Type 2. I'm thin and I have a large history of Type 2 Diabetes in my family. How can I find out? (28 Nov 97)

4. My son was diagnosed eight months ago, at the age of 12 months. Eight months later we are still battling to get his glucose levels under any kind of control. The biggest problem seems to be that there is so little knowledge or reference material on how diabetes effects a child so young. (28 Nov 97)

5. I am 16 years old and I am wondering how I can tell if I have diabetes or not. I have to eat every 2.5 to every 4 hours otherwise I feel sick. Also, when I haven't had food when I should, and then when I do eat something, I feel all better. (28 Nov 97)

6. How does someone contract diabetes? (28 Nov 97)

7. Our understanding is that insulin is the "key" that allows glucose into cells for metabolism. What mechanism allows glucose to enter cells when exercising? Exercise greatly lowers our son's blood readings with less insulin required and more carbs added to the food plan. (28 Nov 97)

8. My 13 year old son has been a diabetic since he was 9. Our nutritionist had given us a reference guide which told us what type of food and how much he should eat before heavy exercise. We lost the quick reference guide and have been searching for months to find a resource that can provide us with similar information. (28 Nov 97)

9. I broke my thigh bone a few years ago and have a metal plate with pins in the thigh. I started to use my thigh as an insulin injection site, and have noticed some discomfort. Is this my imagination, or can the sub-cutaneous layer of fat infused with insulin interact with the metal? (28 Nov 97)

10. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 5 months ago. Up until now, she's been in excellent control. Over the last few weeks, her levels have been in the 300+ range only in the afternoons after school. Could this be an end to the honeymoon phase? (28 Nov 97)

11. My 13 year old son was diagnosed two months ago with Type 1 diabetes. There is no family history of Type 1 or even Type 2 as far back as we can research on either mine or my husband's family. I have many nieces and nephews as well as one other son. Do they have an increased chance of being diagnosed, and what precautions should we take, if any? (28 Nov 97)

12. I remember reading about an indwelling or subcutaneous computerized pump device that would constantly (or frequently) monitor serum blood glucose levels and then infuse an appropriate amount of insulin. What is the current status of this? (27 Nov 97)

13. Is anybody using an insulin pump and have to take prednisone tablets [a steroid medication] to control other medical complications? I have trouble get good results in the mornings. (27 Nov 97)

14. I'm a mother of a daughter with juvenile diabetes and have just read about siblings being tested for relationship of measles vaccination and juvenile diabetes. (27 Nov 97)

15. My grandmother is a diabetic. I'm looking for the best hospital to treat her. Could you tell me which is the best hospital or doctor to treat diabetes? (27 nov 97)

16. Someone told me that in hospital they test my glucose in "plasma" way and it should be different from that in my meter. Would you be so kind that tell me how to compare these two results? (27 Nov 97)

17. In our service area we have a diabetic patient we routinely get called for. He has glucagon at home, and has asked us to give him glucagon. The first few times we gave him glucagon it only took about 15 to 20 minutes and he was fully alert. The last time 1 hour. Can you tell me why it has started taking longer for him to respond? (27 Nov 97)

18. I tested negative for the ICA test last year. Do I need to get retested, and if so how often would I need to get that done? If a child receives a high risk HLA type, is this the protein that identifies a cell as non-self? (27 Nov 97)

19. There is a person on America OnLine saying that Dr. Bernstein's low-carbohydrate diet is okay for young children. Please let me know your opinion. (27 Nov 97)

20. I just saw in a recent issue of Prevention Magazine a study performed concerning diabetes and vitamin E. The study was very small but the result was that blood glucose levels fell significantly for those people taking 800IU of vitamin E a day. Do you have any evidence of this and if so how many IU's of vitamin E are suggested for a child weighing about 20 kg? (27 Nov 97)

21. I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 12 years. I'm 23 years old and get my eyes checked every year. Last year I noticed spots in my eyes. I went to the eye doctor and he checked everything over and said my eyes were fine. He mentioned they were probably floaters in my eyes. Should I be worried? (27 Nov 97)

22. My three year old daughter was diagnosed with IDDM over eighteen month ago. She has been doing four finger pricks each day since then. Now she often claims her fingers hurt when they are wet. Why it is necessary to prick her finger to get blood? Why not other places such as arm, leg, or back? (27 Nov 97)

23. Do you recommend storing insulin in the refrigerator or keeping it at room temperature? I have heard that 30 days is the recommended use time for either way. Is this true? (27 Nov 97)

24. I am looking for a blood sugar meter and don't know what to buy. Do you have any suggestions? (27 Nov 97)

25. Can blood sugar levels affect learning? (27 Nov 97)

26. My 4 years old son with Type 1 diabetes has unstable readings in the day and we are giving him the recommended dose H, N, and U before breakfast and H, N, and U before dinner. What do you think the best way to control it? (22 Nov 97)

27. I have had the hives for 5 years, and believe they are caused by Humulin R insulin. I've been to an allergist and endocrinologist; they say it is not likely. Any test I could ask to be run? (22 Nov 97)

28. I have heard of beta cell transplants with bone marrow. Can I have this done for my son now before severe problems develop? (22 Nov 97)

29. My son is 5 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 at 3.5 years of age. He has been in excellent control. He has just recently developed antibodies to his thyroid. Is this very common? (22 Nov 97)

30. My 6 year old son has had erratic blood sugars for at least the past year. His levels have gone from 27 up to 400 with repeated hospital admissions to stabilize him. His pancreas is slightly enlarged and they don't why. Is this daily rise and fall in sugar levels harmful to him? (22 Nov 97)

31. I am trying to find if there is an answer to a very odd day that my 3 year old son had yesterday. When he got home from day care he just lay on the sofa and I got him to drink a glass of apple juice then within five minutes he was a completely new kid. Could this be the possible onset of diabetes? (22 Nov 97)

32. My 12 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 months ago, is having recurrent hypoglycemia at school. How can you tell if you are starting the honeymoon period? (22 Nov 97)

33. I read a question response that stated, "The major negative issue for individuals with diabetes is the potential for alcohol to contribute to low blood glucose levels and extra weight gain." How does alcohol cause lower blood glucose? (22 Nov 97)

34. My daughter, age 12, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year ago. During the last 5 days her numbers have been running from 250-300 consistently. How aggressive can we be in trying to get these numbers down? And could the high numbers be due to changes going on in her body due to puberty? (22 Nov 97, updated 28 Nov 97)

35. I am the leader of a Youth/Parent Support Group. One of our members has a problem with her son. He is 9 years old and was diagnosed about 10 months ago. He is angry, rebellious and is in denial. He thinks the diabetes will go away and he won't end up with complications. (22 Nov 97)

36. My 17 month old daughter cannot drink fruit juice or eat fruits of any kind. I was told by a friend that she might need her sugar tested for diabetes. When she eats or drinks these things she has diarrhea almost immediately. Do you think she should be tested for diabetes? (22 Nov 97)

37. I have a friend whose 16 year old son has started having seizures in the middle of the night. He has been diabetic since age 4. His doctor has recommended that he be put on an anticonvulsant. They have not discussed what kind as of yet but she wants to be prepared with some information before she talks to the doctor. Are night time seizures common among teenage diabetics? (22 Nov 97)

38. Do you have Insulatard made by Novo Nordisk (Denmark) and Humalog made by Lilly (France) in the U.S.? (20 Nov 97)

39. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. On her last visit to the docter he told her that she should never plan on having more than one child. We agree that a 14 year old should not be getting pregnant, but do not know why she can only have one child. (20 Nov 97)

40. My son is 7. He was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. There is absolutely no family history except his dog which is now 5.5 years old. His dog Robo had to take insulin from age 1.5 to 2.5 then for some reason the vet said the dog grew out of it. Is there a correlation? Does the dog carry a virus? (18 Nov 97)

41. I want to know what to do when I go to a party. There will be a lot of children eating sweets. (18 Nov 97)

42. We lead a parent support group for families with young diabetics in the Calgary area. We recently had a dentist come to speak about dentistry concerns for diabetics. He mentioned significant concern with gum disease and bone detachment in diabetic teens. Could you provide some advice on important dental care for diabetic kids? (18 Nov 97)

43. I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I am still confused about the relationship between sugar, glucose and insulin. My doctor said that when I eat sugar my glucose level drops. (18 Nov 97)

44. Do temperature ranges specified on meters mean readings will be off if the strips are too cold? Or do they mean that the meter developers checked accuracy only within the specified temperature range? (16 Nov 97)

45. I was wondering how much sugar intake is too much in a day and what is normal intake of sugar a day? (16 Nov 97)

46. My daughter is 20 years old and has been a Type 1 diabetic since age 7. Recently she has been told she is really a Type 2 and needs a different course of treatment. Is this possible? (16 Nov 97)

47. Is it possible to create a computer software program that will calculate the amount of insulin a diabetic patient should take at any given time? (16 Nov 97)

48. Our three year old niece has been diagnosed with borderline diabetes. What does this mean, and what can be done to prevent her from becoming diabetic? (16 Nov 97)

49. I have noticed that most sugar-free candies, foods, and desserts contain the same if not more amounts of carbohydrates as regular foods. Wouldn't it then be easier and just as healthy to eat regular foods for snacks rather than searching for a sugar-free look-a-like that is not entirely "free"? (16 Nov 97)

50. Is it safe for a Type 1 diabetic child to use echinacea for a short period when they have a cold or flu? I have heard it should not be used by people with autoimmune diseases and that diabetes is considered an autoimmune disease. (16 Nov 97)

51. I'm a psychotherapist treating a 14 year old with diabetes. He says he doesn't want to have it (diabetes) so sometimes he acts like he doesn't. We've discussed many things, but I'm looking for some easier/simpler self-management tools or others he could converse with about this similar situation. (14 Nov 97)

52. Our 15 year old daughter was diagnosed two years ago. Since that time she has been hospitalized at least 10 times with uncontrolled high blood sugars. She has been seen by outstanding diabetologists, endocrinologists, and pediatric specialists all over the country. No one has been able to solve her problems. We have been told by various doctors she is the most difficult case they have ever encountered. (14 Nov 97)

53. My youngest daughter is an attractive senior in high school. She wants to lose weight, so doesn't eat properly. She's had three episodes going to the emergency room of hospitals due to low blood sugar. We've had her in counseling, to no avail. I'm afraid she's contemplating suicide. Is there a boarding school for Type 1 diabetics? (14 Nov 97)

54. What is the name of the test used to discriminate between Type 1 and Type 2? (14 Nov 97)

55. For the past four months I noticed that I am passing large amounts of urine. I went to the doctor and had more than six blood analysis over a period of three months. The results were normal and the doctor assured me that I do not have diabetes. What other disease symptoms could my case indicate? (14 Nov 97)

56. I am looking for someone who can point me to who I need to talk to about experimental testing with islet-cell transplants or INGAP genes. (9 Nov 97)

57. I am a school Library Media Specialist and am looking for information about daily requirements of carbohydrates for a diabetic. We have two students with juvenile diabetes and we need any kind of information to help prepare meals for these children. (9 Nov 97)

58. I know there is a big difference in how long it takes for the different types of carbohydrates to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Could you tell me what the time-frames are? (9 Nov 97)

59. My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. Our doctor said that the average person can live with only 20% of their pancreas. If this is true, can I donate 50% of my pancreas to her? Since I am almost twice her size, 50% of my pancreas would be almost full size for her and I could live very well with half a pancreas. (9 Nov 97)

60. Our pediatric endocrinologist has suggested a flu shot for our four-year-old son, diagnosed with diabetes this past Spring. Should I get him one or not? (9 Nov 97)

61. What happen with the body if you have diabetes and drink alcohol? (9 Nov 97)

62. Are there any medications or medical conditions that interfere with the accuracy of HgbA1c? (9 Nov 97)

63. I have been using an insulin pump for about a month. I've found out that to recover from a high sugar requires a much greater amount of insulin than if I to avoid it by adding a relatively small amount of insulin to the bolus. How come? (9 Nov 97)

64. In all that I have read about Type 1 diabetes, beta cells are referred to as being destroyed. Do these cells remain in place but simply do not function? Is it possible that they are sort of "asleep" or being suppressed and as such could be revitalized or restimulated to function? (9 Nov 97)

65. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was nine years old. Two times I experienced a situation where my jaw would "freeze." I would be unable to speak for about 15 minutes. Have you ever known anyone with the jaw "freezing" problem? (9 Nov 97)

66. Are there any special dangers if you take Extacy or LSD and you are diabetic? (8 Nov 97)

67. I am a thirty-one year old type 1 diabetic of 5 years. I have NLD on my left leg, and wonder if the herbal treatments for circulation have helped anyone. (8 Nov 97)

68. Is there any information available on the development of diabetes and how it progresses? Also are there any studies on prevention? (8 Nov 97)

69. What is the most frequent reason a child will wake up in the middle of the night with nightmares -- hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia? (8 Nov 97)

70. I am a 22 year old Type 1 diabetic. In the past month I have had two hypoglycemic episodes with meter readings between 45-55. In both episodes my tongue went numb. Is this directly related to the episodes? (8 Nov 97)

71. I am trying to find out about the prevalence of diabetes in Africa compared to England. (8 Nov 97)

72. Our 4 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I have read a little about a BCG study being done. I'm looking for more information on how this is going. (8 Nov 97)

73. Normally, my glucose level will rise to around 150 within 2 hours after breakfast. However, about once per month my blood glucose will drop to less that 30 mg/dl within 30 minutes of the A.M. shot. I have not been able to correlate these sudden and very frightening episodes with any change in activity or pre-breakfast glucose level. Any ideas? (8 Nov 97)

74. I have been a school bus driver for 5 years, and now that I'm a diabetic on insulin I am no longer able to do my job! I was working part time as a driver and now the government says I can't drive any more. Can you help me find the law or reason why I'm not able to work any more as a bus driver? (8 Nov 97)

75. Could you give a brief overview of how diabetes is passed from generation to generation? (8 Nov 97)

76. In my town, I cannot find Zbars in any pharmacy. The pharmacies say it has been taken off the market. The Zbars have really been helping me overnight with my diabetes. Do you have any information about why Zbars were taken off the market? (5 Nov 97)

77. My five year old son was diagnosed one year ago with diabetes. On a day-to-day basis his sugar level fluctuates from 80 to 300. We get a low (below 80) at least once a week and a high (200-300) almost daily. Is this daily jumping around normal/typical for a five year old? (5 Nov 97)

78. I am a 29-year-old woman, diabetic for five years. My diabetes control has fluctuated greatly during this time, from wildly out of control to extremely well-controlled when I was pregnant. Every 1-2 years I go through a period of quite dramatic hair loss. It stops abruptly and the hair grows back. Has this happened to anyone else? (5 Nov 97)

79. I am a 35 year old female who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 10 months ago. Since then, I have lost around 23 kilos. Very recently I was hospitalised for ketoacidosis for 8 days. During that stay I was rediagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic and put on insulin. I am concerned that I have regained 5-6 kilos of that weight in less than two weeks. (5 Nov 97)

80. My daughter was diagnosed as Type 1 a year ago. Between last year and last month, we have been controlling it with her diet (no insulin was needed). A week ago, she was running high and her mother gave her 1 unit of Humalog. Her sugar went from 450 to 43 in 2 hours. (5 Nov 97)

81. Can gestational diabetes be reversed? (5 Nov 97)

82. I am a 20 year old female. Lately I have been extremely thirsty, urinating more often than usual, unusually fatigued, and constantly hungry, yet losing weight. I believe that I should get tested for diabetes, yet I am constantly craving and eating sugar and it doesn't seem to bother me. (5 Nov 97)

83. My 13-year-old stepson was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year ago. At first he was very concerned about his diet and stuck with it religiously. However, recently he has the idea that he can eat whatever he wants and compensate by giving himself more insulin. Is this an appropriate management technique? (5 Nov 97)

84. I have had Type 1 diabetes for going on 5 years. I am 33 years old. I am having extreme difficulties controlling my blood sugars. My endocrinologist also does not seem to have any answers. There is some thought that I should go to the pump. (5 Nov 97)

85. My 13 year old daughter was recently told by our pediatrician she may have hypoglycemia as a result of her heart rate going to 180 and not coming down at school. What signs can I look for to determine if this is an isolated case, perhaps brought on by no breakfast and a dose of pain medication the night before? (5 Nov 97)

86. I am switching from a regimen of N and R (morning) plus N and R (dinner) to one of U and R (morning) plus R (lunch) plus U and R (dinner). I will be taking less U than N. Is there a difference in the strength of U compared to N? Could there be any other reason for the difference in dosage? (2 Nov 97)

87. Is there is a recommended ratio of the number of units of fast-acting insulin to slow acting insulin taken? Also what is the recommended maximum number of units of insulin per kg. of body weight? (2 Nov 97)

88. I need information on juvenile diabetes. My four-year old grandson was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. He is doing well handling his diabetes.I would like suggestions on treatment, recipes, organizations, etc. (2 Nov 97)

89. I am 48 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 43 years. I have always kept track of kidney function with serum creatinine. My doctor wants me to have a microalbumin test done. Could you tell me something about the test? (2 Nov 97)

90. I am a insulin dependant diabetic UK citizen thinking of relocating to the US (Philadelphia) for a new job. As I have a pre-existing condition, what if any health insurance problems can I expect? Also, what, if any, disclosure of my condition to my potential new employer would you advise? (2 Nov 97)

91. Is aspartame safe? (2 Nov 97)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts