I need information on juvenile diabetes. My four-year old grandson was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. He is doing well handling his diabetes.I would like suggestions on treatment, recipes, organizations, etc.

Through the American Diabetes Association, American Association of Diabetes Educators, and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, there is a wealth of information. Find out what is available in your area, in terms of support groups, and education programs. If available in your area, don't be shy about calling a pediatric diabetes educator to set up an appointment to learn about diabetes care.

You might start with a book called Raising a Child with Diabetes.

I can't emphasize enough how important your knowledgeable, compassionate and "hands on" support can be! A parent of a child with diabetes can feel so isolated and may not have anyone that they can leave their child with. Also it is very difficult for a parent when the rest of the family doesn't have up to date information on diabetes. The care and goals for children with diabetes can differ significantly from the care of an adult with diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Might I be so bold as to suggest you start with Diabetes Basics, right here within children with DIABETES. If you're looking for books, you'll find reviews of books for parents (and grandparents) as well as books for kids. JSH]