Question:

From Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia:

Is there is a recommended ratio of the number of units of fast-acting insulin to slow acting insulin taken? Also what is the recommended maximum number of units of insulin per kg. of body weight? Do either of these figures vary depending on age of the person with diabetes? My son is Type 1, age 9, diagnosed 6 years, and my brother is Type 1, age 35, diagnosed 2 years. My son is on Actrapid/Monotard, my brother is on Humalog/Protaphane.

Answer:

In general, before puberty a child needs 1/2 unit of insulin for every kg of body weight (one kg equals 2.2 lbs) every 24 hours. During puberty and the first years of adolescence, this dose can substantially increase up to 1.5 unit per kg of body weight. During adulthood, this dose decreases down to between 0.6 and 0.7 unit per kg of body weight.

It is also important to make sure that the dose is distributed well throughout the entire day. The ratio of fast-acting insulin to slow-acting insulin on the basis of total insulin requirement is on average around 0.4 and 0.6. If you mix Regular with slow-acting insulin in the same syringe before meals, the amount of Regular is usually between a half and a third of the slow-acting insulin.