Question:

From New York, USA:

My 13 year old daughter was recently told by our pediatrician she may have hypoglycemia as a result of her heart rate going to 180 and not coming down at school. What signs can I look for to determine if this is an isolated case, perhaps brought on by no breakfast and a dose of pain medication the night before?

Answer:

You did not say if your daughter has diabetes. I am assuming that she does not as you would have had her check her blood sugar if she had diabetes, and you had concerns.

Fast heart rate is not the typical presentation of hypoglycemia, however if your pediatrician is concerned about this, he should speak to the local pediatric endocrinologists.

Has your doctor looked for thyroid or heart problems? If that is an accurate pulse (180 beats per minute), it is something to have checked out immediately.

LM