Question:

From The Basin, Victoria, Australia:

I am a 35 year old female who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 10 months ago. Since then, I have lost around 23 kilos. Very recently I was hospitalised for ketoacidosis for 8 days. During that stay I was rediagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic and put on insulin. I am concerned that I have regained 5-6 kilos of that weight in less than two weeks. My doctor says that a lot of it would have been water as I was severely dehydrated when admitted to hospital. I am currently on 22 units of fast-acting insulin during the day and 14 units of slow-acting insulin at night. My weight is currently 60 kilos and height is roughly 5 foot, 2 inches. Is there anything I can do to help control weight gain? Also, nobody here (Australia) has talked to me about these Exchanges that I am reading about: How important are these?

Answer:

I think it could be very valuable for you to make an appointment with a dietitian who is experienced in working with people with diabetes. It sounds like you have had a terrific weight loss and I agree that some of the weight loss lately could be attributed to dehydration. In order for you to remain healthy it is important that you eat a balanced diet based on the Food Guide Pyramid ; however, a little more direction in the amounts and types of foods you eat could help you a great deal to attain your weight goal as well as control your blood sugar. You will now need to make sure you have enough food to cover the peaks of the insulin you take so eating becomes more than just weight loss and hunger. I strongly suggest you seek help from a qualified dietitian to keep your success going.

Exchanges are just one of the ways to stabilize weight and control blood sugars and I think the dietitian will be better able to decide with you which of the ways will best suit you.

JM