From McLean, Virginia, USA:

My five year old son was diagnosed one year ago with diabetes. On a day-to-day basis his sugar level fluctuates from 80 to 300. We get a low (below 80) at least once a week and a high (200-300) almost daily. He currently is taking two injections per day consisting of R and NPH insulin. Although his day-to-day numbers seem all over the place, his three month blood test averages (A1C) are between 7.2 and 7.8. Is this daily jumping around normal/typical for a five year old? Am I controlling his diabetes well enough on a day-to-day basis or should there be better control?

The fluctuation in blood sugar may be related to his pancreas still producing some insulin sporadically, or may be related to rapid growth.

At many programs, blood sugar targets in five-year-olds are set to be between 100 and 200 about 75% of the time. If the extremes are sporadic and his glycohemoglobin is less than 2% above the upper limit of normal, you can relax.