Question:

From Annapolis, Maryland, USA:

I am a 22 year old Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed a year ago and have been doing well. My question is about my tongue! In the past month I have had two hypoglycemic episodes with meter readings between 45-55. In both episodes my tongue went numb. Is this directly related to the episodes? If so, what does it mean?

Answer:

Numbness of the finger tips is more common but a lot of patients tell me that they feel tingling around their mouths and tongues when they are hypo. This is a direct effect upon the nervous system of a low blood sugar. Your symptoms have no other particular significance.