From Tveria, Israel:

I have been using an insulin pump for about a month, using Regular insulin. I've found out that to recover from a high sugar requires a much greater amount of insulin than if I to avoid it by adding a relatively small amount of insulin to the bolus. For example: a regular bolus of 15 units results in blood glucose level of 320; bolusing 16.5 units of insulin instead of 15 fixes this, but after the high occurs, 4-6 units of insulin is required in order to lower it back to normal. How come?

I guess that this is to do with insulin sensitivity and what happens when blood sugar levels get high. Once your body starts making ketones, you require even more insulin to turn this off than just to lower glucose levels.