From Iowa, USA:

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 10 months ago. I know there is a big difference in how long it takes for the different types of carbohydrates to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Could you tell me what the time-frames are?

The rates of absorption of "fast" and "slow acting" carbohydrate are somewhat individual. The simple carbohydrates such as sugar, juice, glucose tabs, etc., take about 15 to 20 minutes to raise the blood sugar, while some starches may take from 30 minutes to two hours to impact the blood sugar. The mixture of protein or fat are also factor in to the length of time it takes the body to absorb the carbohydrate.

If you haven't found it already, a book called Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace is an excellent book to help people understand the variables involved with blood sugar and food and activity.