From Topeka, Kansas, USA:

I am looking for someone who can point me to who I need to talk to about experimental testing with islet-cell transplants or INGAP genes.

The information that you have asked for is rather extensive in scope and really beyond the reach of an e-mail reply. As a matter of fact I know of only one publication about Islet Cell Neogenesis Protein or INGAP which is by Rafael, R, et al. in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, Vol.99, p 2100, 1997 (May). You should be able to find this in any medical library.

Experimental work on islet cell transplantation will be a little bit more of a problem. If you can explain a little more specifically what you want to a medical librarian they will often develop a reading list for you from their own resources. Failing that I would go to PubMed on the Internet and learn to use it as a search tool. Again, if you can get into a medical library they may have other search systems, some of which, like OVID are easier to use if you want to narrow your search to say 'animals', 'english language', 'review articles' etc. Again it would be a great help if you can get a librarian to give you a little help to start with; but don't be overawed by the medical context. Any good library in a hospital or in a Medical School will make a special point of trying to help people who are not in related professions. Some public libraries can do it too.

Usually the articles you select will have abstracts and often you can see the whole article or arrange to have it copied so that you can digest it at leisure.

Additional Comment by Dr. O'Brien

One of the points of a library search is that it gives you not only information; but also the names and addresses of appropriate researchers. It is not clear from your question whether you are familiar with the requirements for human research. You need to submit a protocol to the Institutional Review Committee responsible and I think that it is unlikely that you would ever get permission if you were not on the staff. Moreover you need to have an approved protocol before you recruit any volunteers even if the study is in no way invasive, because amongst other things the exact wording of the 'informed consent' has to be specified. Perhaps you might consider linking forces with somone who is already working in the transplant and INGAP field.

It has also been suggested that you yourself in fact are asking to be a subject in this kind of research. So far as I know there are no protocols for INGAP research yet in humans although the article in the Journal of Clinical Investigation may correct that and I think you will find that transplant Centers all have long waiting lists because of the shortage of donors. If you are a diabetic and feel you should be considered for a transplant talk this over with your doctor and find out if he or she thinks that you have reached the stage of being a candidate and then you could be referred to the nearest center for further evaluation.

Additional comment added 20 Dec 97