Question:

From Amman, Jordan:

For the past four months I noticed that I am passing large amounts of urine. I went to the doctor and had more than six blood analysis over a period of three months. The results were normal and the doctor assured me that I do not have diabetes.

I am wondering, if there is something called urine-diabetes. I mean, if the glucose does not appear in the blood, could it be that it appears only in the urine?

What other disease symptoms could my case indicate? I am 38 years old. I am so worried and desperate.

Answer:

If your blood sugar levels have been measured several times and are always normal, it's very unlikely that you would have diabetes.

There is a rare condition, called renal glycosuria, that has glucose in the urine despite normal levels of blood sugar. This condition can be easily checked for, by measuring urine glucose levels at the same time that blood sugar levels are obtained. There are several other possible causes for large volumes of urine (also called polyuria): the most common reason is consumption of large volumes of fluids. Rarely, there are medical problems, such as high blood calcium, or another condition called diabetes insipidus, that can cause polyuria.

Urinary tract infections (also called UTI's and cystitis and bladder infections) have problems with frequent urination, but don't typically have large volumes of urine being passed at any one time.

WWQ