From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

I'm a psychotherapist treating a 14 year old with diabetes, diagnosed at age 7. My treatment is regarding the patient's poor self management skills -- not tending to managing his own treatment well and it apparently resulting in some prominent erratic behaviors, mood swings and such. I'm looking for resources to provide him, which might help him become more invested in managing himself. He says he doesn't want to have it (diabetes) so sometimes he acts like he doesn't. We've discussed many things, but I'm looking for some easier/simpler self-management tools or others he could converse with about this similar situation.

Your question is probably too difficult to answer by e-mail.

I would refer you to a book called Practical Psychology for Diabetes Clinicians. You may order the book from It is also available from the American Diabetes Association. Their phone number is 1-800-232-6733.

If you have not already spoken to your patient's diabetes health care provider, I would do so.

If your patient's provider is not a diabetes specialist, you may wish to contact the nearest pediatric/adolescent diabetes center for more detailed advice, and hopefully be able to speak to a mental health provider with experience in diabetes care in teens.

[Editor's comment: If your patient has access to a computer, you might suggest visiting the Teens Chat Room. The discussion topics vary, but he will find other teens with whom he can share his feelings about diabetes. JSH]