From San Diego, California, USA:

Our three year old niece has been diagnosed with borderline diabetes. What does this mean, and what can be done to prevent her from becoming diabetic? The child's mother doesn't appear to be concerned which I believe to be related to lack of knowledge regarding the chronic nature of diabetes and related health implications. I want to gather some information and hopefully educate myself and sister-in-law/brother regarding prevention and precautions that can be taken to preserve the health of my niece.

Nowadays we know that autoimmune Type 1 diabetes, far from being an abrupt-onset disease as it was considered in the past, is actually a chronic disease whose long preclinical phase (even many years, perhaps as early as from the first years around birth!) is tagged by the presence in the blood of the autoantibodies and lately by the flat beta cell insulin response to glucose. There is no established therapy that is know to prevent diabetes although there are two major trials going on in USA and Europe to assess whether early insulin or nicotinamide therapies are able to stop and/or to reverse the autoimmune process leading ultimately to beta cell destruction and clinical diabetes. You can read a lot more about this subject at Research into Prevention.