Question:

From Newark, Delaware, USA:

I was wondering how much sugar intake is too much in a day and what is normal intake of sugar a day? (I'm a male, in my senior year of college. I never gain weight. I weigh 155 pounds, and I'm 5 foot, 11 inches. I got diabetes about 5 years ago.)

Answer:

This is an age old question. The answer is that there is no answer. Normal intake seems to be whatever your belief of too much and enough is. I realize that is not very specific, but when the studies were done prior to the ADA making the recommendation for carbohydrate counting, the standards of using products with only so many grams of sugar per serving were dissipated. The recommendation is that 50-60% of calories should come from carbohydrate and the Food Guide Pyramid places sugar and fat in the smallest part of the pyramid. I have difficulty dictating how much is appropriate for an individual. Then the question becomes what are we calling sugar? Does sugar count in fruit and milk? As you can see there are no real pat answers to this question. I guess if you have eaten all of the recommended servings of all the other food groups and you still need the calories from concentrated sweets, that it would not be unhealthy. Remember, we do know that sugar causes tooth decay.

JM