Question:

From the state of Washington, USA:

I am 32 years old. I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I am still confused about the relationship between sugar, glucose and insulin. My doctor said that when I eat sugar my glucose level drops. This was tested by drinking orange juice and testing my glucose. Is it that my body is making too much insulin and this is sucking all the glucose out of me? Please help me understand this.

My doctor told me to not eat sugar, but then where do you get your glucose from?

Also why do I not have the same reaction to pop (coke) as I do orange juice. Also I eat candy and all feels okay. I am very confused and worried.

I have all the symptoms, dry mouth, foggy eyes, low energy sometimes, have been cold, shaky and nervous too.

I have cut sugar out of my diet and am trying to eat more carbo's and proteins but still do not feel very good.

Answer:

Food is converted to glucose in the body. Even some protein and fat can be converted to sugar, although the body really prefers to use carbohydrate for fuel.

If you have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, when you eat something with concentrated sugar or even a fruit if eaten alone, your blood sugar level first rises, this triggers your pancreas to put out insulin to lower the blood sugar. In your case it puts out a lot more insulin than it needs which lowers your glucose too much -- giving you that shaky nauseous feeling. By limiting sugar and eating simple carbohydrates such as juice and fruit with a meal the level of insulin in your body should be more stable providing you with less low blood sugars.

JM