From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

We lead a parent support group for families with young diabetics in the Calgary area. We recently had a dentist come to speak about dentistry concerns for diabetics. He mentioned significant concern with gum disease and bone detachment in diabetic teens. Could you provide some advice on important dental care for diabetic kids? He spoke about sealants, antibiotic treatments for gum disease, and of course brushing and flossing.

I'm no dentist but there are a few points to note. First, the extra sugar in the saliva during bad control accelerates decay - another reason for improving blood sugars. Diet drinks may be okay for blood sugars but they are carbonated with acid and are corrosive to enamel so toothbrushing is very important.

I expect that sealants would reduce this risk. Speak to your own dentist.