Question:

My 17 month old daughter cannot drink fruit juice or eat fruits of any kind. I was told by a friend that she might need her sugar tested for diabetes. When she eats or drinks these things she has diarrhea almost immediately. Do you think she should be tested for diabetes?

Answer:

When some young children eat fruit or drink juice it causes an increase in intestinal activity because of the sugar load in the intestine and sometimes causes diarrhea. Significant symptoms of diabetes are increased urination, thirst, and weight loss. If in doubt, you can always take your child to the pediatrician for a simple blood test for diabetes: measurement of the blood sugar level.

JM