Question:

From Borden, Ontario, Canada:

I am the leader of a Youth/Parent Support Group. One of our members has a problem with her son. He is 9 years old and was diagnosed about 10 months ago. He is angry, rebellious and is in denial. He fights about everything; injections, testing and food. She does his injections, however, he is not scared of the injections, he just doesn't think he should have to do all the things a diabetic must do. He cheats with food. He doesn't tell anyone if he is low and he doesn't treat his lows himself. He thinks the diabetes will go away and he won't end up (like his grandfather) with complications. This lady is desperate for help.

Answer:

I would encourage the family to meet with a psychological counselor to help with the adjustment to diabetes. This child and family is clearly having a difficult time, and counseling will likely help the family to work out the issues.

I would also encourage the family to have the child meet other kids with diabetes through support and education programs, camps, or just by being introduced to others by his diabetes team.

LM

Additional Comments from Joyce Mosiman, diabetes dietitian:

I might add that many times health care givers assume that a nine year old cannot make any decisions about his treatment regimen and the child is not asked for input. Asking him what makes him angry about having diabetes and then seeking help to change the treatment plan may be helpful.

JM