From Buffalo, New York, USA:

My son is 5 years old, and was diagnosed with Type 1 at 3.5 years of age. He has been in excellent control.

I have heard of beta cell transplants with bone marrow. Is this procedure done on only persons with severe complications, or can I have this done for my son now before severe problems develop? I would also like to donate my bone marrow and beta cells if possible (provided we are a match). Is this all probable or am I hoping too hard?

The simultaneous transplanting of donor bone marrow stem cells as part of any organ transplant procedure has become increasingly common in recent years. Present indications are that it helps to diminish rejection of the donor tissue. However it is emphatically not a procedure to consider at this time for your son. For the time being the philosophers stone is 'good control' and new insulins, new syringes and better support mechanisms and education have done a lot recently to facilitate this.