From Fresno, California, USA:

I have a 7 year old with Type 1 diabetes in my class. Can blood sugar levels affect learning? Sometimes his answers in class are so "off base."

Speak to the child's family about specifics of his diabetes care. If the student's blood sugar is low, he or she may appear confused or have unusual answers. If the blood sugar is not low at the time, the behavior would be unlikely to be caused by diabetes. Some parents do find that their children act different when the blood sugar is quite high, but usually low blood sugar is the reason for diabetes-related behavior/personality changes.