I am looking for a blood sugar meter and don't know what to buy. Do you have any suggestions?

There are many excellent meters available with differing features. I would suggest meeting with a diabetes educator to see which meter would fit your needs. You might also check out the Diabetes Forecast magazine review of diabetes supplies which comes out yearly, and the reviews of Blood Glucose Meters in children with DIABETES.

[Editor's comment: I want to make a comment about "free" meters. There is one way not to get a meter: getting one from your insurance company or pharmacy simply because it's free. Free meters are indeed occasionally available, but there are always strings attached; if you get one free from an insurance company or pharmacy, it's because it's the best (cheapest) for them, not because it's best (most appropriate) for you. Some diabetes programs (including my own office) have several brands of meters available free from the manufacturers, and the diabetes educators will allow you to look at the varying features of the different brands, then choose a free meter that's best for you: that's the best deal! WWQ]