Question:

From Beijing, China:

I have diabetes. I have a meter but I found its results are different from what I get from my doctor. I get the blood from my finger when I use my meter and I get blood from my vein when I am in hospital. Someone told me that in hospital they test my glucose in "plasma" way and it should be different from that in my meter. Would you be so kind that tell me how to compare these two results?

Answer:

It is true that blood sugar testing can be performed from bleeding the arm veins (venous sample) or from ear lobe and fingers (capillary sample). In the fasting state the two values are similar (with difference between them not greater than 5 mg%) while after eating they can differ as much as 40-50 mg%, this difference lasting for 2-3 hours. Generally, the blood sugar assessed by lab equipments measure plasma levels and is 15% higher than the same measured in whole blood such as through portable meters.