Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I remember reading about technological research in the treatment of diabetes that involved an indwelling or subcutaneous computerized pump device that would constantly (or frequently) monitor serum blood glucose levels and then infuse an appropriate amount of insulin, essentially functioning like a pancreas. What is the current status of this? Is it in use or being piloted?

Answer:

The Minimed Co. who are one of the major insulin pump manufacturers have developed an internal insulin pump; but it has not yet been approved by the FDA. Personally I would very much prefer the convenience of the accessible external pump.

DO'B