Question:

From Danville, California, USA:

My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 5 months ago. Up until now, she's been in excellent control with averages of 80 - 120 mg/dl [4.4 - 6.6 mmol/l]. Over the last few weeks, her levels have been in the 300+ range only in the afternoons after school (R + N taken in the morning). Her eating and exercise habits haven't changed, nor has she been sick.

Could this be an end to the honeymoon phase? Is there such a thing as becoming resistant to a particular type of insulin (N)?

We've been treating the higher levels with the appropriate amount of insulin in the evening before dinner. Do I need to consult with the diabetic team now? We're scheduled to see them in another month.

Answer:

Yes, I do suggest you contact your diabetes team before your next scheduled appointment. Insulin requirements will frequently change over the next several years as your daughter grows and her body makes less insulin. If you find you need to give extra insulin for several days in a row in the evening to lower the high blood sugars before supper, you probably need to adjust the morning insulin to prevent the high blood sugars before supper.