From New York, New York, USA:

I broke my thigh bone a few years ago and have a metal plate with pins in the thigh. I started to use my thigh as an insulin injection site, and have noticed some discomfort. Is this my imagination, or can the sub-cutaneous layer of fat infused with insulin interact with the metal?

First of all, I do not think you are imagining the discomfort you are getting when using your thigh as an injection site. The operation you went through two years ago most likely caused a considerable amount of trauma to your thigh area. The healing process does take a period of time. The amount of time for the total healing process to occur is different for everyone. My suggestion to you would be to talk to your endocrinologist or general physician and let him/her know what is going on. Tell him/her about the discomfort you are feeling when you inject your thigh with insulin. He/she may very well suggest to you that you change the site of your insulin injection.