Question:

I am 16 years old and I am wondering how I can tell if I have diabetes or not. My mom, great-grandmother, and grandmother, have diabetes. I talked to my grandmother that is still alive and she says I should get it checked out. I am not exactly sure though. I really need to know if I have it though.

I have to eat every 2.5 to every 4 hours otherwise I feel sick. Also, when I haven't had food when I should, and then when I do eat something, I feel all better (not sick anymore).

Answer:

Yes, diabetes does have a hereditary component; however, your symptoms remind me of someone with a problem of low blood sugars rather than high ones. In any case it is worth a visit to your doctor for a fasting blood sugar test. Your doctor may want to do some other blood work as well.

The treatment for low blood sugars (hypoglycemia) is to eat small meals every 2-3 hours and to avoid eating fruits and foods with sugar by themselves. It is a good idea to avoid as much sugar as possible whether it is with another food or not. A dietitian will be able to help you with specific suggestions if you have hypoglycemia.

JM

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.