From Ketchikan, Alaska:

I've been diagnosed with hypothyroid. At my last followup the doctor mentioned I could be borderline diabetic. If my next lab work shows all is fine, is there a chance I could develop diabetes? Are there any precautions to keep from developing diabetes?

Without knowing how old you are it is difficult to be specific; but it is possible, albeit not probable, that your hypothyroidism and your borderline diabetic state are both due to an autoimmune state. The best way to establish for certain would be to see your doctor about getting an antibody test done. If you are under 45 years and have a first degree relative who is on insulin or a second degree relative with diabetes and you are under 20 then you would be eligible for an antibody test. If the test is positive you might be eligible then to participate in a trial called DPT-1 to prevent actual clinical diabetes.

If, as is most likely, you are an early Type 2 Diabetes, then the most important preventive measures are to control your weight and to take plenty of exercise even in the Alaskan winter. You might, with your doctor's help, also consider reviewing your present diet with a nutritionist.