Question:

From Maine, USA:

I'm an eighteen year old college student and I have had a lot of difficulty keeping my blood sugar levels at an appropriate level since I have started school. I seem to have no regular eating schedule because I sleep late or go out to eat with friends. Most of the time I don't like the meals served in the dining hall so I find myself getting filled up on ice cream, fatty foods, or not eating much at all. Do you have any suggestions for how to change my eating habits and scheduling of meals and insulin?

Answer:

You do not mention what your insulin regimen is, but I think a visit with your diabetes team might be in order to see if there is a way to accommodate your new lifestyle. Many of our active clients have switched to an insulin regimen which allows them much more flexibility in how much and when they eat. You may even want to check out the insulin pump. The type of insulins you are on will pretty much dictate your schedule. Carbohydrate counting, Ultralente insulin and lispro insulin [Humalog®] offer some alternates that you might discuss with your health care team.

JM