Question:

From Toms River, New Jersey, USA:

Can drinking coffee and other caffinated drinks help lower blood sugar, or does it have an insignificant effect? (I have Type 1 diabetes; age 15; diagnosed at age 13.)

Answer:

I am not aware that there is a significant blood glucose lowering of caffeine. I was under the impression that caffeine raises blood sugar slightly, but the significance is not great. It has always been my feeling that unless you are drinking a great deal of caffeine-containing liquids, it is an insignificant effect on blood sugar. I suppose it would differ in individuals. My suggestion is to check it out by testing the effects on yourself.

JM