From Belfast, Northern Ireland:

My cousin, 5, was recently diagnosed with diabetes (I am not sure which kind) and I am concerned I might find myself in a first aid situation with her. Where might I find guidelines?

Speak to your cousin's parents about caring for your cousin, and ask to read any material they might have. In general, the one situation which may happen quickly is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The signs and symptoms may include looking pale, shaky, dizzy, confused, tired, a complaint of hunger or headache. If you can check her blood glucose, do so, and treat a low blood sugar with a small amount of juice or other carbohydrate source and a small snack. (See our reference on treating hypoglycemia.) If a low blood sugar becomes "severe" the person with diabetes may lose consciousness or have a seizure, in which case you would not want to give them anything by mouth, but rather inject glucagon. Your cousin's parents could help you, or perhaps the diabetes team that cares for your cousin could be of help.