Question:

From Queensland, Australia:

At 7.00 am I tested my blood sugar reading 8.9 mmol/l [160 mg/dl]. I then had two slices of wholemeal bread toasted with a small can of baked beans and a large glass of water. At 9.00 am I tested my blood sugar again it was 20.8 [374 mg/dl]. Is this normal for such an increase over that period of time?

Answer:

If your dose of insulin was not adequate for the meal, it is certainly possible for your blood sugar to go from 9 to 21 mmol/l. Talk to a registered dietitian to learn about the content of the foods that you eat, and with your doctor, nurse educator or dietitian about adjusting your short-acting insulin based on food intake.

LM