From Queensland, Australia:

At 7.00 am I tested my blood sugar reading 8.9 mmol/l [160 mg/dl]. I then had two slices of wholemeal bread toasted with a small can of baked beans and a large glass of water. At 9.00 am I tested my blood sugar again it was 20.8 [374 mg/dl]. Is this normal for such an increase over that period of time?

If your dose of insulin was not adequate for the meal, it is certainly possible for your blood sugar to go from 9 to 21 mmol/l. Talk to a registered dietitian to learn about the content of the foods that you eat, and with your doctor, nurse educator or dietitian about adjusting your short-acting insulin based on food intake.