From Ohio, USA:

My daughter has Type 1 diabetes. I was advised not to use chocolate, such as a candy bar, to treat my daughter for low blood sugar because the fat in a candy bar would slow down the absorption of the sugar. Two teens with diabetes have told me their diabetes nurse educator recommended it for lows. So, what's the scoop?

Physiologically the most rapidly absorbed foods should be used for treating a reaction. Although sometimes a chocolate bar will work, there may be a time that the fat in the bar would slow down the absorption of the sugar, making the entry of sugar into the bloodstream too late. It also carries extra calories if you are concerned about that. Of course if you had nothing else on you it would be worth using.