From the Microsoft Network:

If I can't remember if I took my insulin at dinner time or not, should I skip it or take it in case I forgot it? I take two injections, 26 units a day, one in the morning and one at dinner. I'm not sure if I did dinner or not. This happens quite a bit to me.

You can always give insulin, but can't take it out once it is injected. If you are not sure if you took your insulin, I would recommend monitoring your blood sugar and urine ketones closely. If it clear that you missed your shot, then give yourself extra insulin as recommended by your diabetes team. Some people would give Regular every four hours until your next dose, others would give a portion of your NPH with extra Regular. Don't wait until your next dose to give more insulin if you are sure you missed your dose. If you missed a full dose of your NPH, your blood sugars may be off for the next day or so.

My concern for you is that you say this happens to you more than once in a while. I would suggest talking to your diabetes team about your insulin regimen. See if there is any way to help you remember to take your shot or any way to change your regimen to make it work better for you. Is there anyone who can help you with your insulin injections? Ketoacidosis can occur when you miss your shots, and this can be very serious, and occasionally fatal. Some people who miss their insulin find help by seeking counseling to help them cope with their diabetes, and balancing their diabetes care with having a full life.