From Aberdeen, Maryland, USA:

My son is 2 1/2. His father is 22 and has had diabetes for 5 years. Everyone tells me that my son is going to get it. So I checked his sugar with his dad's kit and it was 140. I know that is over what it is supposed to be, but what are the chances that my son will have diabetes? He is always thirsty, but he does not use the bathroom a lot. I also want to include that my grandmothers both had diabetes and so did my husband's. I have two aunts that also have diabetes and so does my husband. Anyway, should I have my son tested? Or maybe I should test him myself for a while?

Home blood sugar meters are not accurate enough to tell the difference between a normal blood sugar and slightly elevated one. Given the fact that his father has diabetes (I assume Type 1 or insulin dependent), your son probably has a 3 to 10% risk of developing Type 1 diabetes. If there are many relatives with Type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent diabetes), he may have an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes depending on whether you or his father also inherited that gene. Type 2 diabetes usually develops in adulthood especially if the person is overweight, but there are rare forms of Type 2 diabetes that develop in childhood or young adulthood.

Right now, if your child is drinking a lot and urinating a lot, you should bring him to the pediatrician to check the urine for sugar. If there is no sugar in the urine of a young child (especially after eating), testing the blood sugar is rarely necessary.