From Pennsylvania, USA:

My adopted son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, Type 1. He is 31 years old now and has a son of his own. If the parents and children are trying to maintain a vegetarian diet, what type of protein and calcium sources replace milk?

For people who are avoiding all forms of animal products, soy milk and products may be used to provide protein as well as beans and nuts. Calcium is also found in some vegetables. There is some thought that the amount of calcium required may be less when the high phosphorus meats are not consumed as there is a relationship between calcium and phosphorus in the body. The soy milks and some of the meat substitutes may also be fortified with calcium. Getting complete protein is an issue for people avoiding animal proteins altogether but it can be done.

I would suggest your son find a dietitian who is familiar with vegetarianism to help him plan some menus that will help him provide his child with a balanced healthy diet.