From Pensacola, Florida, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 16 years and I am currently 13 weeks pregnant with my fourth child. I do not have any complications so far. I see my endocrinologist for the first time tomorrow since moving back to this area. My pre-existing clause lifts tomorrow and I am getting started with my diabetes care. My last A1c was 5.7 taken a few weeks ago and I am wondering if it is recommended that I begin using an insulin pump during pregnancy. I am hoping I will be able to do it, but fear that the endocrinologist will not be in favor of it. I am highly resistant and am now taking nearly 200 units of Humalog and NPH per day.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Your hemoglobin A1c is at a good level. If you want to use an insulin pump, I think that would be fine. However, good glucose control can also be maintained with standard insulin injections. You are certainly taking a lot of insulin. This often happens during pregnancy due to increased insulin resistance as a result of various placental hormones. Because of the large amount of insulin you require, a steady infusion via a pump might be a better choice. Discuss this with your endocrinologist.