Question:

My husband has just been diagnosed with diabetes. The doctor said not to eat any sugar and to exercise. He gave us a couple of sheets with the calorie based meal plan with exchanges and all. I need information on what he should and shouldn't eat. The more I read the more confused I get. I really feel like the doctor let us down. Can you help? Where do I get information from? What books do I get? What do I feed him?

Answer:

You have several excellent questions. Your husband's doctor's advice either was misunderstood or inadequate. People with diabetes can have sugar, although in limited amounts. Sheets of paper with recipes are almost useless (as you've probably realized) without explanation.

I urge all my diabetes patients, and their families, to talk with trained dietitians, if possible ones who are certified as CDE's (Certified Diabetes Educators).

I'd suggest you explain your confusion to the doctor, and request a referral to a diabetes dietitian, or a diabetes educator who works with a dietitian. (Obviously, you can look around the Internet to find more about nutrition. Two links to start with are: Food and Diet at Children with Diabetes, and DIABETES on the WEB: Nutrition).

WWQ